Hidden Google Search Features for Android
If you need to find something — be it your lost phone or a new location — Google’s hidden search features can help. Learn how to use them with these tutorials.
Sometimes you’ve lost your phone. Other times you’re not sure where you left it: at the restaurant where you had dinner last night, at your friend’s house, at the bus stop. Luckily, if you need to narrow into where you lost your phone, a hidden Google search feature can help you find it.
Start by simply typing “Where’s my phone” into the Google search bar. Here’s what to do next:
- After you’ve typed the phrase and pressed enter, Google will take you to a screen that tells you to sign into your Google accounts. If you have more than one device, it will also prompt you to click on the device you need to locate.
- Click on the screen and you’ll be directed to a page to enter your Google login credentials.
- Once you’re logged in, a message will pop up asking you for your permission for Android Device Manager to use your location. Click “Allow.”
- Another message will pop up from Android Device Manager telling you the location information might not be accurate. Click “Accept.”
- The Device Manager will then show your phone’s location on Google Maps. You can zoom in further on the map if you need to see your phone’s exact location.
- If you still can’t find your phone, you can click on the “Ring” button, and Google search will ring your phone for 5 minutes until you power it off. You can also “Lock” your phone’s screen or “Erase” your data if you think your phone’s lost for good.
If you want to find a new location, you can also send a search from Google Maps on your computer to your phone. Here are the steps:
- Check to see that you’re signed in to the same Google account on both your computer and your phone.
- Open Google Maps on your phone and your computer.
- Find your intended location on your computer’s Google Maps.
- Below the search bar, there is an option to “Send to your phone.” Click this button.
- Choose the phone where you want your Google Map search sent.
As you’re searching for your lost phone or hard-to-find place with Google search, you don’t want anyone to take your information. So, download DFNDR’s antivirus protection now.