Does It Matter If You Leave Your Phone to Charge Overnight?
Do you charge your phone overnight and forget about it? You may be causing damage to your phone’s battery without even knowing it.
How much thought do you give to charging your phone? Probably not that much, especially if your phone is brand-new and still working rather efficiently. But if you wear out your phone during the day, only to leave it plugged in to charge all night while you’re asleep, then you’re actually shortening the lifespan of your beloved new smartphone. It’s time to pay more attention to your charging process so that you can get the most out of your new phone — and keep it working like new for years. Click here to use Total Charge to monitor your phone’s charging process:
Total Charge shows you which stage of the charging process your phone is in and how long it’ll take to charge your phone. It’ll then alert you whenever it’s done charging, so that you don’t have to worry about damaging your phone. This is important because leaving your phone plugged in after it’s reached 100% can lead to overcharging, which can cause your phone to overheat. It can also cause battery damage, which will shorten your phone’s overall lifespan and how well it works.
The Main Issue with Charging Your Phone Overnight
If your phone seems to be fine whenever you charge it overnight, that doesn’t necessarily mean it is fine. The real issue with leaving your phone plugged in is that doing so can affect your battery’s health. It can reduce the lifespan and quality of your battery — a disappointing reality if you just dropped a lot of money on a new phone. While you may not see the effects of this decision immediately, you’ll start to see it over time. Then you’ll be stuck with a phone that doesn’t hold a charge or continuously freezes when you have a year left on your phone contract.
Is Your Phone Prone to Overheating?
Overcharging used to be a major issue for cell phones, but as technology has improved, it has become less of a problem. However, that doesn’t mean you should leave your phone plugged in for long periods of time, especially if your phone is older or if you’re using an off-brand or cheap phone charger. Pay attention to how your phone responds to charging (with the assistance of Total Charge). If it gets hot after reaching 100%, then you know you need to immediately unplug your phone after it’s done charging to avoid immediate battery damage.
An overheating phone — whether caused by overcharging or a poor-quality charger — could also spark or start a fire. Additionally, you should steer clear of “fast chargers,” which can cause your phone to rapidly overheat, which will further damage your phone’s battery life.